The Rose & Crown pub is easily missed, situated in a lane off the High Street built in the 1480s, parts of this beautiful pub date back to Tudor times. The pub has historic timbers everywhere, an original internal well and a cosy open log fire. The single bar has low beams and an inglenook fireplace.
We offer a good selection of Harvey’s beers and a good choice of English and continental dishes made with locally-sourced produce.
Four en-suite letting rooms to make your stay enjoyable and with two pretty gardens it’s the perfect spot for lunch after a visit to Kipling’s nearby home.
While you stay with us you might like to consider visiting some local attractions:
–Bateman’s (National Trust) Burwash, Rudyard Kipling’s former home
Rudyard Kipling was one of Britain’s most prolific short-story writers, a poet and novelist.
–Battle Abbey (English Heritage), Battle. Stand on the spot where Harold was slain or view the annual re-enactment of the battle each October
– Bodiam Castle is only 20 minutes drive away,
– Herstmonceux Castle and Pevensey Castle are both close to the place where invading Norman French landed in 1066, only a few miles away from our pub B&B across beautiful countryside.
– Hastings, Tunbridge Wells and the A21, a convenient route up to London, are all within very easy reach.
– The coast is a short drive away and there is plenty for the kids to do nearby too.
The village of Burwash is well worth a visit. Most of the High Street lies within a Conservation Area, and there are many beautiful period houses and buildings.
The origin of the name of the village has evolved from Burherce in the 12th Century to Burghesse in the 13th, Burgherssh or Burwash in the 15th, Burrishe in the 16th and the modern Burwash in the 17th Century. It is said to mean, in old English, a stronghold, BURR, with a stubble field, ERSE, but there are other theories such as “town in the forest” or “fortified hill in the woods” using two different meanings of BURGH and HURST.
The oldest building in the village is St Bartholomew’s Church and parts of the Norman original (1090) can be seen today and the oldest house in the village is Chateaubriand (1375) but in most of the High Street the old buildings are hidden behind the Georgian tiles. Burwash grew steadily in the 11th and 12th Centuries and its status as a local trading centre was recognised in 1252 when King Henry III authorised a weekly market and a three day fair in May. These markets continued until the 20th Century and the tradition is perpetuated by the annual village fete on the August Bank Holiday following St Bartholomew’s day (August 24th).
At one time there were at least seven public houses plus official and unofficial ale houses but gradually they have been reduced to two the Rose and Crown and the Bear, all of which retain many of their original features.